Remember that time I went on a rampage and threw out all of my makeup and beauty products because I was convinced they contributed to my cancer diagnosis?
It made me feel better to start fresh, but in retrospect I don’t recommend trashing every product at once. This impulse ended up costing me a small fortune. There are millions of choices, a lot of them are expensive, they all claim to be the best of the best, and the word “natural” is misleading at times. I had no idea what to buy, and I was totally lost.
To make your life easier I’ve compiled a list of a few of my reasonably-priced favorites. While deciding to make the switch to organic/natural cosmetics, I suggest replacing your old stuff as you run out, not putting everything you own on the curb and then crying at Whole Foods.
- 1. Trader Joe’s tea tree oil facial cleansing pads. (These are the same formula as Desert Essence, only cheaper!) Great for acne-prone skin.
- 2. Trader Joe’s Vitamin E Oil. You can use this as eye makeup remover, to moisturize dry hands and feet, or to help soften scars.
- 3. Burt’s Bees facial cleansing towelettes. These are awesome if you’re drunk but you need to wipe off your makeup.
- 4. Chicken Poop chapstick. Tastes amazing and actually softens your lips.
- 5. Kiss My Face liquid rock deodorant. This is the first natural deodorant I’ve used that actually smells good and keeps me from pitting out.
- 6. Zum Mist body spray in Lavendar Mint. You will smell like you’ve been hanging out in a French soap store all day.
- 7. Nature’s Gate lotion in Papaya. The first lotion that has EVER fixed my dry heels.
- 8. Avalon Organics Vitamin C Renewal Revitalizing Eye Cream. Picked this one up on Amazon, and it works so well I feel comfortable going without makeup.
- 9. Except when I don’t. One of these Zuzu concealers (my shade is C-3) lasts me up to three months, and that’s with almost-daily use. It works as well as a Clinique concealer I used to use, and it’s about the same price.
- 10. Beauty Without Cruelty Vitamin C with CoQ10 Renewal Cream. This is like giving your face a drink. My skin has never felt so soft, and I even noticed some fine lines disappear.
The added bonus is that you can get these (or an equivalent) from Amazon on the cheap.
For the first time in my life I’ve gotten compliments on my skin, which is so amazing considering how things used to be (a few years ago, I didn’t wear makeup to work, and my boss sent me home because she thought I was sick. Yikes).
Have some favorites that you think I should check out? Post them in the comments!